20060629

Sylvan's request

"Will you color with me?", asked Sylvan.

"Not right now, I'm going to go do..."

Something important.
I went to do something I needed to do, didn't I?
Oh no.
What a glorious invitation i passed on today.
i could have colored!
i never color anymore.
I saw i wasn't good at coloring, so I stopped.
Growing up is dangerous like that.
It's so easy to forget that playing isn't competing,
so easy to confuse the serious with the important
or the skillful with the valuable.
Sylvan wanted to color while Leo hid in a box
and Violette carefully balanced a pillow on her head.
How silly they are.
How wonderfully, worshipfully, beautifully silly!
But me?
Well, I had to do something important.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This piece is now published in Rick McKinley's new book, "This Beautiful Mess".