19991124

attic window

walking back down the streets of my home
of a childhood long ago
i remember the smiles and laughter
and i remember feeling alone

there sits a child on the porch step
i see tears roll down his face
they remind me of the ocean
and the songs she used to sing

there's a window in the attic
and there's no light on in the hall
and somehow they remind me
of where my heart was scared to go

there are church bells in the distance
but no echo in the snow
and the silence is an omen
of all the things i do not know

i'm looking back down the road i've traveled
i see footprints in the snow
some have held to the straight and narrow
some have wandered to and fro

and the moonlight fades
but the moon won't change
and the night wind takes me home
to a place where i
learned to justify
all the things i do not show

and the memory fades
but the past won't change
and she said, "grace, in time, does grow"
so on a pillow of mercy
i rest my brow
and dream of letting go

No comments: